Tuesday 10 February 2009

An image of what once was





These images portray an example of what has inspired me to develop for an EMP subject. The peeling paint reveals something that was there before. Traces and marks tell us the history of the subject, an idea of heritage and layers providing evidence.

This relates to an article I have recently read in Visual Language, regarding, 'Palimpsest. The future of the past'. I feel the word, palimpsest, helps me to define the subject area I wish to explore, it carries the meaning of 'scraped again,' a manuscript written on parchment that has another text written over it, leaving two (or more) layers of visible writing. Palimpsest can also be applied to the subject of architecture, it is interpreted as a ghost, an image that once was. This certainly works well with my initial inspiration images seen above. 

No comments:

Post a Comment